While the National Bike Challenge of 2017 ends on September 30th, that won’t stop you from pedaling along if you are a bike enthusiast! (Be sure to sign up next May for the next National Bike Challenge.)
You may love to cycle for many reasons. The crisp, cool fall weather is the perfect time to get out and go cycling!
Commute to work, anyone? We have a friend who regularly cycled twenty-plus miles each way to work for a few years. Only bad weather dampened his enthusiasm. That’s a lot of leg power!
Small town or big city dweller, cycling to work has seen a 40% increase since 2000 according to this Business Insider article.
My favorite reason for biking to work cited by the author was the overall health benefits. Places like Portland, Oregon have invested in a biking culture with the potential of saving millions of dollars in healthcare expenses over the years.
Fresh air, sunshine, and exercise are probably the top reasons people enjoy biking.
Cycling is great personal therapy! You cycle to get away from the “rat race” and to feel the wind in your face.
For you, biking is a wonderfully healthy hobby.
Want to explore a new trail away from the traffic? If you live in the greater St. Louis area, there are many trails options to enjoy.
You can check them out here: https://www.traillink.com/cityactivity/st-charles-mo-bike-trails/
Riding bikes together can promote family unity and happiness.
Skinned knees and scraped hands — who remembers the thrill of learning to ride your own bike?
I was reminded of this childhood rite of passage when visiting with a nephew and niece this summer. Their young faces beamed with pride as they boasted of their new skills on wheels!
Commuting, therapy or hobby cycling, and family cycling — wherever you roll, you want to stay safe and avoid being an bicycle accident statistic.
The good news is that only 2% of traffic deaths in 2014 were bicyclists! To help stay on the good side of those statistics, a quick run-down of safety rules on a regular basis is helpful. Read and share the love (and safety) with your family!
Basic Bicycle Safety Tips:
- Protect your brain-power. Wear a proper-fitting safety helmet.
- Follow all traffic laws. It’s the law!
- Avoid cycling at dawn, dusk, and after dark. Even with safety reflectors, bike lights, and light-colored clothing, bicycles and pedestrians are still almost invisible at these times of day.
- Make sure your bike is in tip-top shape — no faulty brakes or leaky tires.
- Cut out distractions such as cell-phone usage or listening to music on headphones.
- Wear protective and reflective clothing. Fellow flip-flop wearer? Well, just give them up for the ride!
- Avoid drinking and riding. Why? One in five fatal bike crashes involved a cyclist with a blood alcohol content of .08 according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/bicyclists
- Printable bike safety tips are available from AAA: http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/AAA-Bike-Basics.pdf
Sadly, even the best bicycle safety practices cannot prevent all accidents due to a negligent driver. If you or a loved one are suffering with a personal injury from a bicycle accident due to a careless driver, you need expert legal help and advice!
The Law Offices of Nathan A. Steimel, LLC will give you a free consultation and a fair evaluation of your personal injury case with an experienced personal injury attorney. Call 636-244-3737 to get help today!
This website is designed for general information only. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.