Automobile/Motor Vehicle Accidents
Important things to remember if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident:
- Call 911. Do not leave the scene without contacting the police. If you leave the scene after only exchanging information with the other driver, you may never be able to prove how the accident occurred.
- Cooperate fully with the police officer. When the police officer asks you what happened, tell him/her everything in a calm manner . Cooperate fully and do not argue - just state the facts. If you are nice to them, you will be surprised how friendly they may be to you.
- Obtain a police case number before leaving the scene. You may be given a short form report, but do not be concerned if you are not given one. You can usually obtain the full report from the police department investigating the accident after 72 hours.
- Request medical attention if you are hurt or even if you are shaken. Many people do not feel the effects of an accident for hours, days, weeks and even months. As extra caution, be examined at the hospital, especially if you struck your head or other part of your body on impact. Do not be afraid to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. They will want to speak with you about how the accident occurred and may later take a recorded statement. Cooperate fully with your insurance company. You have the right to have your attorney present when you give a recorded statement, and we highly recommend that you do so. If the other party's insurance company calls, you do not have an obligation to speak with them or give a recorded statement. Be friendly, take their name and telephone number and contact our office before discussing particulars about your accident with any insurance company.
- Follow up with a physician, whether chiropractic or orthopedic if necessary. Our office will be able to provide a referral to a physician to treat your injuries. This physician will bill your insurance company or wait to get paid at the conclusion of the case. Again, in most cases, you will incur no out of pocket expense.
- Contact our office at 636-244-3737 as soon as possible. Remember, we only get paid if we are able to reach a monetary settlement with the defendant's insurance company, so legal representation will cost you nothing.